Thursday 26 February 2015

Even the little things...


Many of us tend to believe God for BIG miracles. Miracles like getting a job you never expected, being healed from sickness, a sudden major financial breakthrough, and for some people…finding the man or woman of your dreams after years of heartbreak or loneliness. In other words, we have imbibed this notion that if it’s not something big, then it’s not a miracle or something worth testifying about.

While it is good to believe God for big miracles…we should learn to trust Him to do “little” miracles for us as well. Though I hold the opinion that when God is involved in something, it is never little.

Let me share a sweet little testimony with you. Ooops! Did I just say “little testimony?” I meant to say… “testimony.”

Sometime towards the end of last year, I resolved that I was going to start exercising regularly at least thrice a week once the New Year kicks in. This didn’t seem feasible in reality…with the rigor of my weekly routine. On weekdays, I’m up at 5am every morning, off to work at 6am (sometimes earlier), leave the office at about 5pm and usually don’t get home till between 7pm-7:30pm. On very light traffic days I could get home at 6:30pm…but this happens very occasionally. Once home, I attend to family matters, watch a bit of TV to relieve the stress of Lagos traffic…but usually by 10pm…sleep comes knocking at my door due to the fact that I’m already extremely exhausted. I knew getting fit wasn’t up for bargain in any way…I needed it. I thought of maybe going to the gym twice a week after I close work, but that would mean my getting home even later…which wouldn’t be favorable since I have to be up at 5am every day.

Then about two weeks ago, a memo got passed round the office by Management that a compulsory exercise/fitness program would commence the following week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5pm-6pm for all staff. It didn’t even dawn on me that this was an answered prayer until a conversation I had with my sister days later about it. She said to me “God has answered your prayers. You’ve been talking about joining a gym and now, you don’t have to do that but you get to workout as you desired. God loves you.”

That was when it hit me. God had given me the desire of my heart far as this was concerned. Not only do I get to exercise twice a week, I don’t have to spend money enrolling in a gym. I got more than what I desired. Sure, I’d get home later than normal on those days, but the workout times were just perfect since I’m usually not physically tired at 5pm. I thought about this after our session on Tuesday and I was wowed at just how concerned God is about our lives. He does even the littlest things for us. I simply marveled at the depth of His love towards us. It is an all-encompassing love.

But I started to wonder why people think some prayers or desires are too small to present before God. I mean If He clothes the lilies of the field, the birds of the air and even sends down rain which grass, plants and trees need to grow…why won’t He take care of the ones He made in His own image? If we delight ourselves in Him, He shall give us the desires of our heart. (See Psalm 37:4).

Like a father/mother to a child, so is God to us. He cares about us so deeply. He cares about every facet of our lives…and He wants us to trust Him with everything that concerns us.

This may seem like a silly testimony to some…but to others, I hope it will cause us to begin to invite God into every aspect of our lives and expect little miracles in addition to the big ones. There is absolutely nothing God cannot do…you’ve just got to activate that faith button and keep it turned on, always!

OH...its Thursday and I'm off for my workout class!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment